If you are a Shopify website owner, it is important to know how to find the variant ID of a product.
A Variant ID is a system-generated, unique number, used to identify individual products or variants. The variant ID is necessary when importing or exporting products in bulk from Shopify.
It is important if you are a Shopify store owner, you understand the purpose of a variant ID and where you can find it for a specific product.
What is the variant ID in Shopify?
A variant ID is a numerical value that is attached to a variation of a product in Shopify. It is a system-generated unique code per product, and per variant of each product in Shopify.
This helps identify products in a Shopify store that are variations of one another. Say you are a retailer that sells phone cases; you will need variants to identify different colour options for instance on a single phone case model.
1. Why would you need to find the variant ID?
Some of the reasons you may want to find the variant ID of a product in Shopify include:
- To link directly to a specific version of a product. For example, a t-shirt in different sizes and colours.
- With a direct link, you can send customers to specific sized and coloured products. This will therefore show the price of the specific variant on the page if they are priced differently.
- You can even add discounted products directly to a customer’s cart with a link.
- This is great for direct links from social media – Linking to the white variant of a Bluetooth speaker for example as it’s the one on offer, or with low stock levels.
Variants are great for customer support and sales. If you don’t have a particular size in stock, you can offer them different versions of the same product, ultimately helping improve sales.
2. How to find the variant ID in Shopify?
In order to find the variant of a product within Shopify, then you will need to take the following steps.
- From your Shopify admin, go to Products > All products.
- Select a product that has multiple variations, whether that be in size, colour etc.
- Do either of the following:
- If you have only one location for your store, then in the Variants section of the product detail page, click Edit beside the product variant.
- If you have more than one location for your store, then in the Variants section of the product detail page, click the product variant.
- Examine the URL in your browser’s address bar. Your URL should be similar to the following URL example:
The variant ID is the number at the end of the URL. This ID will enable you to recognise a particular product within your Shopify store and allow you to quickly recognise how much you have in stock.
3. Looking for Shopify Support?
If you are looking for assistance in finding out more about Shopify as a platform, then please get in touch with one of our Shopify experts.